Recreational Activities and Events
- Computer Lab
- Art Classes
- Cooking Classes
- Holiday Dances/Parties
- Special Olympics
- Fishing Derby
- Water Park
- Movie Nights
Weekdays from 10:00am to 4:00pm, The Arc offers an in-office Computer Lab with internet access, educational programs, and games for our members.
Art Classes are conducted on Wednesdays and Fridays from 11:00am to 1:00pm, with members drawing, painting, and creating small handicrafts and holiday gifts.
Monthly Cooking Classes in the kitchen area teach valuable life skills. Snacks and drinks are always freely available to members at The Arc office.
Other learning and recreational activities are provided in our Social Living Room, using Wii and Xbox 360 gaming consoles as well as traditional board games and puzzles.
Members bowl with The Arc at Midland Bowl on Thursday evenings at 6:30pm and Saturday afternoons at 3:00pm to promote hand-eye coordination, improve social skills, and provide physical exercise.
Special events sponsored by The Arc each month include the Mardi Gras dance, Halloween dance, Christmas party, water park, a Fishing Derby, Karaoke Night, Movie Night, and our annual "Bark for the Arc" dog walk and fundraiser. Many of our members proudly compete as athletes or participate as coaches in Area 4 of Special Olympics Arkansas in Aquatics, Track & Field, and Bowling.
Many of our activities have educational components, particularly the Computer Lab and Cooking Classes. A recent gift from Gerdau will provide the foundation for a Library of learning materials for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their caregivers.
The Arc provides educational opportunities that enable our clients to transition from school to the community through:
- Computer activities and classes
- Art therapy Classes
- Social Living and Communication Skills
- Appropriate peer interaction
The Arc for the River Valley advocates on behalf of those with disabilities in our area. We are the local chapter (representing Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma) of The Arc of the United States
"With more than 140,000 members and more than 700 state and local chapters nationwide, we are on the front lines to ensure that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families have the support they need to be members of the community."
- We serve over 400 people with disabilities and their caregivers in our area.
- We enhance supports and services to those with disabilities.
- We allow our members with disabilities to participate in activities on their level of competence, giving them a sense of belonging.
- We are a local chapter of The Arc for the United States, one of 730 chapters that help people with disabilities.
- We can advocate for legislation on a federal, state, and local level for members in Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma.
For Advocacy Questions Call (479) 783-5529.
- Arkansas DHS Division of Developmental Disabilities Services
- Oklahoma DHS Developmental Disabilities Services
- Guardianship Guide (Arkansas)